If I don’t get a good night’s sleep, I already know the next day is going to be rough. A dark, depressing, cluttered bedroom is, truth be told, pretty bad for your health. But even if you know you need to make some changes, it can be challenging to decide where to start — especially if you’re on a tight budget. So how can you proceed with remodeling plans to create the sleep space you deserve? Here are a few key questions to keep in mind:
1. Do you have ample space?
- Does your bedroom comfortably accommodate the bed and other furnishings, such as dressers? Would you like to have space for a window seat or a seating area?
- If you’d like a more spacious bedroom, can you expand into an adjoining area, such as an underutilized guest room or another space?
- Is adding on your best option? How will an addition affect your outdoor living space? Would you like to have access to the yard from your bedroom? How will this affect privacy? What local codes and regulations may influence the design?
Also, think about:
2. What are your furnishing needs?
- Would you like a larger or smaller bed? Do you need additional storage pieces, whether for clothing or the television?
- If you have space for a seating area, how do you like the furnishings? Do they need re-covering or replacing?
- What’s the condition of the room’s furnishings in general? Do the pieces suit your style?
3. What are your storage and display needs?
- Is your bedroom cluttered with books, newspapers, DVDs, CDs, or other items?
- Do you have good storage on each side of the bed, or are the nightstands laden with books and clutter?
- Are you able to personalize the bedroom with special belongings?
4. Do you like the current style?
- Does the look of the bedroom work with the style of the rest of your home?
- Is the bedroom palette and design restful?
- Is the style updated and a true reflection of your tastes?
- How do you feel when you wake up in the morning?
And last but not least:
5. How’s the lighting?
- Are you reading or doing other relaxing tasks in shadows?
- Do bedside lamps glare in your eyes?
- If you dress in the bedroom, do you have lighting to assess how you look?
- Can you adjust lighting levels to suit the time of day and mood?
Thanks to HomePortfolio.com for shedding light on these tips!
As part of our efforts to create the ultimate Bedroom Homeowner’s guides we are constantly searching the web for great pieces of advice.
Check back for more Bedroom FAQ’s as we continue to collect information to create the ultimate Bedroom Homeowner’s Guides.